Events Series is one of the longest-running programs of the Harvard University’s Center for Hellenic Studies in Greece (CHS Greece), launched in 2008. The Center invites prominent academics and experts from various fields from Greece and abroad, and addresses the local communities of the Argolis region and of Greece, through an annual series of lectures, panel discussions, and presentations that take place on a monthly basis.
Events Series 2022 will explore the topic of "Public Discourse in Times of Crisis" by focusing on the value of reasoned public discourse as a cultural, political, and, more broadly, social good, which also affects the private exchange of ideas. Especially in historical moments of crisis and intense ideological rivalry, the exchange of sound arguments and counter-arguments continues to play a decisive role in the operation of civil society.
This year's series will be implemented from February to June 2022 with five events, most of which will take place in-person while all of them will be broadcasted online. This year the program is held in collaboration with the National Library of Greece, the Basil & Elise Goulandris Foundation, and the Municipality of Nafplio, and with the support of the Harvard Club of Greece.
2022 Events dates, titles, and participants
All events will take place at 7:00pm Greece time.
Friday, February 25, 2022
- Title of event: "Climate Change: Past, Present, and Future"
- Speaker: Christos Zerefos, Secretary General of the Academy of Athens and Climate Envoy for Greece
Friday, March 11, 2022
- Title of event: "The Impact of Epidemics on Individuals and Society"
- Speaker: Marianna Karamanou, MD, PhD, Professor of Epistemology, History, and Ethics of Medicine at the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Friday, April 8, 2022
In collaboration with the Basil & Elise Goulandris Foundation.
- Title of event: "Public Discourse in the Arts: the Individual and the Collective" (panel)
- Moderator: Jenny Argyriou, Choreographer
- Vassilis Gerodimos, Sculptor and Installation Artist, on the topic of "Artworks in Public Space"
- Argyro Chioti, Director and Actor on the topic of "Stage Utopias in Times of Crisis"
Tuesday, May 31, 2022
In collaboration with the National Library of Greece and with the support of the Harvard Club of Greece.
- Title of event: "Public Discourse and Dispute in a Time of Crisis" (panel)
- Moderator: Nicolas Prevelakis, Associate Senior Lecturer on Social Studies at Harvard University and Assistant Director of Curricular Development at the Center for Hellenic Studies, Harvard University
- Nicolas Prevelakis on the topic of "How a Crisis Redefines Public Discourse"
- Pavlos Kontos, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Patras, on the topic of "Philosophy: Asclepius for the Crisis"
- Fereniki Panagopoulou-Koutnatzi, Assistant Professor of Constitutional Law at Panteion University, on the topic of "Law and Dispute in a Pandemic"
Thursday, June 30, 2022
In collaboration with the Municipality of Nafplio - "DOPPAT" (Municipal Organization of Culture, Environment, Sports, and Tourism).
- Title of event: "Democracy and Expertise in Ancient Greece"
- Speaker: Mark Schiefsky, C. Lois P. Grove Professor of the Classics at Harvard University and Director of the Center for Hellenic Studies, Harvard University